Paul Hollywood’s version of panettone is a recipe that sits between the classic panettone and a brioche. You will need an 18cm/7in panettone tin.
- 500g/1lb 2oz strong white flour
- 7g salt
- 50g/2oz caster sugar
- 2 x 7g sachets instant yeast
- 140ml/5fl oz warm milk
- 5 free-range eggs, at room temperature, plus extra for egg wash
- 250g/9oz unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 120g/4½oz dried cherries
- 120g/4½oz dried sultanas
- 120g/4½oz dried currants
- 100g/3½oz whole blanched almonds
Place the flour, salt, sugar, yeast, milk and the eggs into the bowl of a free-standing mixer fitted with a dough hook.
Mix slowly for two minutes, then increase the speed to medium and mix for a further 6-8 minutes until you have a soft dough.
Add the softened butter and mix for another 5-8 minutes. Remember to scrape down the bowl periodically to ensure that the dough mixes well. It will be very soft.
Add the dried fruit and nuts. Mix until all is incorporated.
Tip the dough into a bowl, cover with clingfilm and chill overnight until the dough has firmed up enough for you to able to shape it.
Prepare a 18cm/7in panettone tin by brushing the inside generously with melted butter.
Remove the panettone dough from the fridge.
Knock back the dough, shape into a ball and place into the tin.
Leave to prove at room temperature for a further 2-3 hours, until the dough just starts to dome over the top of the tin.
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Brush the top of the panettone with egg wash and bake for about 25 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 150C/300F/Gas 2 and bake for a further 35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Check the panettone periodically in case of oven hot spots. Bear in mind that the sugar and butter in the dough could brown too much before it is actually fully baked.
Remove the panettone from the tin immediately and allow to cool.
- La Vecchia Torre- beautiful villa surrounded by greenery located between the beautiful Etna and theLa Vecchia Torre is a beautiful villa surrounded by greenery located between the beautiful Etna and the magnificent Ionian Sea. Completely renovated and furnished in Sicilian style, equipped with all […] Book Now
- AdeleVilla Adele is located a minute’s walk from the beach and is located in Mascali, a seaside town located in the middle of a wide bay between Catania and Taormina […] Book Now
- Villa Achillea – villa in residence near the beach with shared poolPretty and modern villa in a residential / tourist village with swimming pool and near the beach. Achillea House is ideal for those who want to spend their holidays near […] Book Now