January 14/16, Viagrande (CT) San Mauro Abate Feast
Solemn celebrations of the patron San Mauro Abate on 15 January in Viagrande (CT), a spectacular and long-awaited exit of the Patron Saint with a great choreography of fireworks.
The feast of San Mauro Abate has always been the main festival of the town. San Mauro, a favorite pupil of San Benedetto, was chosen towards the end of the 18th century as the patron saint of Viagrande. The festivities begin with the translation of the Artistic Fercolo of the Patron Saint from the “Casa ‘a vara” to the Chiesa Madre, accompanied by the Committees and the band body. On the 14th day traditional “Fair of livestock, agricultural tools, plants and flowers”.
On the 14th, the party of the party, the offer of the wax, procession of the relic of the patron saint and a grandiose pyrotechnic contest. The most popular story of the party is the so-called “party entrance” or young singers, performing the “ancient cantatas” of the two districts The citizens, in fact, are divided during the evening for a healthy competition, in two factions, or parties : that of St. Catherine, including the part of the country bordered by Aci Bonaccorsi and Lavina, and that of Scalatelli, which includes the square and the homonymous district, even if the membership is due to parties is more emotional and does not depend so much from the residence. The two parties thus offer a competition to those offering the best fireworks display. On January 15th, “Solemnity of St. Mauro”, unveiled of the Patron Saint and at 13 o’clock triumphant exit of the saint’s statue with a pyrotechnic show that has no equal, then the tour through the city streets accompanied by faithful devotees and bodies bands. At the arrival of the fercolo in Piazza San Mauro “Calata dell’Angelo”, a wooden angel is taken down by a canopy, placed at a height higher than that of the fercolo, bring in hand flowers and banknotes, donating them to the Saint
The following Sunday, the eighth of the festival “Closing day of the festivities”. In the afternoon Procession of the Patron Saint around Piazza S. Mauro. On returning to the traditional Church “Cantata” to the Patron Saint, performed by the parish chorale, followed by the reading of the new committees for the following year’s festival and the closing of the Patron Saint’s simulacrum in the Chapel.
For more information: www.comune.viagrande.ct.it – www.chiesamadreviagrande.com
The program of festivities:
Children’s Day and Eve of Solemnity – Sunday 14 January 2018
7.00 am At Piano Gelsi fair of cattle, agricultural tools, plants and flowers
8.30 am Mass celebrated by the parish priest Sac. Francesco Nicolosi, parish vicar of the Parish of St. Mary of Nuovaluce – Catania
8.30 am Entry and tour through the streets of the band complexes:
“Città di Viagrande” (Ct) directed by M ° Lucio Pappalardo
“City of Acireale” (Ct) directed by M ° Michele Di Mauro
9.00 am Parade of the Sbandieratori “Rione Panzera” by Motta S. Anastasia (Ct) through the city streets and exhibition in Piazza S. Mauro
11.00 am Mass celebrated by the parish priest Sac. Alfio Bonanno, with the presence of the “Children of the Catechism” of the 3 parish communities
– The songs will be performed by the parish choir of the children “S. Maria dell’Idria”
12.00 am In Piazza San Mauro “Launch of balloons” by Carmelo Messina
4.00 pm Entry and tour through the streets of the band complexes:
“Città di Viagrande” (Ct) directed by M ° Lucio Pappalardo
“Socjetà Mukikati San Lawrenz” City of Victorious in Malta, directed by M ° Johathan Abela
5.30 pm Offer of the wax
– Holy Mass celebrated by the Preacher at the conclusion of the Novenary.
– The songs will be performed by the parish chorale “S. Cecilia”
– The wax offer and the Mass will be broadcast live on www.lab72.eu – www.chiesamadreviagrande.it
7.00 pm Procession of the Relic of the Patron Saint for the following routes: R. Scuderi, Garibaldi, V. Emanuele, Bellini, Piazza Matteotti, Garibaldi, Similar, of the Region and return to the Church. The Religious, Civil and Military Authorities, the Confraternities, the Ecclesial and Volunteer Associations will take part.
– On returning to the Chiesa Madre, singing of the first Vespers of the Solemnity presided over by the Preacher.
– Deposition of the Relic at the feet of the Patron Saint
8.45 pm Entry of the young singers from the “S. Caterina” and “Scalatelli” districts
– Execution of the “ancient cantatas” of the two districts
– Ignition of fireworks performed:
For the district “Scalatelli” from the award-winning pyrotechnic company:
– “Fuochi Castorina” of Christmas and Roberto Castorina – Brolo (Me) in collaboration with Davide Messina
For the “S. Caterina” district from the award-winning pyrotechnic company:
– “Etna Pyro” by Francesco Privitera – Paternò (Ct)
24.00 in S. Michele Church S. Mass celebrated by the parish priest Sac. Alfio Bonanno
– The celebration will be animated by the “Circolo devoti S. Mauro Abate”
Solemnity of St. Mauro – Monday 15th January
- Villa Bonaccorso – Il Casale oasis of tranquility immersed in nature in the foothills of Mount EtnaVilla Bonaccorso is a luxurious nineteenth-century residence, located in Viagrande. The hilltop village of ancient traditions, characterized by a building of a certain elegance, with many houses full of green […] Book Now
- Villa Bonaccorso – Il Casotto il “Limone verde” An oasis of tranquility immersed in nature in the foVilla Bonaccorso – Il Casotto the “shelters” or ancient deposits of the house have been renovatedand equipped with every comfort.They can accommodate up to 3 people you are equipped with […] Book Now
- Villa Bonaccorso – Il RusticoVilla Bonaccorso – Il Rustico is located in the heart of Sicily, completely surrounded by lush citrusgroves, the Villa offers a unique setting and an unforgettable view.Ancient Sicilian farmhouse, it […] Book Now
- Villa Bonaccorso – La Dimora An oasis of tranquility immersed in nature in the foothills of Mount Et Villa Bonaccorso – La Dimora is a luxurious nineteenth-century residence, located in Viagrande.The hilltop village of ancient traditions, characterized by a building of a certain elegance, withmany houses full […] Book Now