A traditional Sicilian pasta alla norma dish that always includes eggplant and ricotta salata.
- 1 Pound Short Dry Pasta Such As Penne or Rigatoni
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
- 3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
- 1 (28oz) Can Chopped Tomatoes ( I prefer Pomi brand)
- 1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Basil
- 3 Small Eggplants, Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces
- Oil For Frying
- Salt & Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 2 oz. Ricotta Salata Cheese
- Fresh Basil Leaves To Garnish
- To make the sauce, heat the 3 tablespoons of oil in a heavy saucepan, and saute the onions until tender.
- Add the garlic and hot pepper flakes, stir, then add the chopped tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water, and while it is cooking fry the eggplant in 1/4 cup of the oil in a heavy skillet until golden and tender.
- Drain on paper towels and fold into the pasta sauce.
- Drain the pasta once it is cooked al dente and return it to the pan with half the sauce.
- Cook over medium heat until piping hot, and then serve in bowls, spooning the remaining sauce over the pasta.
- Sprinkle with the grated ricotta salata and garnish with basil leav