Arancini di Riso: Sicilian Rice Balls.
Makes about 12 to 16, depending on sizeIngredientsRISOTTO:
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (15 oz) Arborio rice (the best rice to use is carnaroli, I use “Subscribe and Save on Amazon)
- 4 oz white wine
- approximately 30 oz chicken stock
- 1 egg
- 4 oz mozzarella, cut into 1/2″ to 3/4″ cubes
- Bolognese sauce (or use plain spaghetti sauce for vegetarian)
- cooked peas (optional)
- all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- more tomato sauce, to serve (optional)
- basil leaves, for garnish
Make the risotto by adding the rice to the heated oil in a large sauté pan, and stirring quickly for r one or two minutes. Quickly add the white wine while stirring. With the heat on medium high, begin adding the chicken stock a little at a time, and continuously stirring, until all the stock has been used and the rice is cooked, yet still al dente.
(Here is a more detailed recipe on how to make risotto.)
Taste, adding salt if necessary. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Add an egg to the risotto and mix well, then refrigerate for a few hours, or overnight.
To make the arancini~
- Place some rice in your hand and flatten it into your cupped hand, but don’t make it too thin, or the filling will ooze out.
- Place a piece of mozzarella, and/or a little tomato sauce (and peas, if using) in the center of the cupped rice.
- Next, close the rice around the filling and shape into a ball.
- If you’d like to make conical shapes, flatten the bottom of the ball, and make the top more pointed.
Now, roll the shaped arancini in flour.
Then, roll them in the beaten egg.
Finally, roll in the breadcrumbs;
Fry the Arancini
Heat some oil in a deep fryer, pot, or wok until it is very hot.
Add the arancini, and cook quickly, turning often so they don’t brown too much on one side. If serving immediately, fry for a few minutes, so the cheese will melt in the center.
(If you’d like to serve them at a later time, remove them quickly after just browning; then, just before serving, place them on a baking sheet and re-heat in the oven at 400ºF for 5 to 10 minutes.
A rich selection will allow you to discover all the services you can request to enrich and complete your stay. This is how your holiday will become unique!