It’s the island that make up the archipelago of the Cyclops with other seven big rocks off Aci Trezza Sea.
Its origin, caused by intense volcanic activity of Mount Etna, is dated back about 500.000 years ago. According to the myth, however, the stacks and the island were the rocks that Polyphemus hurled against the Ulysses’ ship who had blinded him. Some remains found on the island have attested the human presence in prehistoric, Phoenicia and the late-Roman times, so Lachea island is a cultural heritage as well as natural.
In 1803, the island and the faraglioni were granted a “free” lease to use it such as stone for fishing and to exploit the little land with agriculture. In 1828 the island, along with the territory of Aci Trezza, became part of the Aci Castello, but the archipelago and the island remained the property of the owners of Acireale Segrezia and, later, they pass to Gravina family.
At the end of the nineteenth century Senator Luigi Gravina gave a free right to use the island and adjacent seven rocks to the University of Catania. Thus a small ichthyic museum was born on the island and the constitution of a Nature Reserve has allowed the preservation of ancient rocks, flora and fauna of the area making the island a true natural paradise.
Also, the play of favorable sea currents makes water surrounding the island more transparent and crystal clear. Due to the richness of the fauna Lachea island is frequently visited by the birds as sandpiper, herring gull and the marsh harrier in search of food.
The plants that grow on the island are very beautiful and they enrich the panorama of colors and scents.